Saturday, December 14, 2013

Home Subwoofer Enclosure

     I recently installed a Yamaha RX-A830 in my mother's house. It is powering two seven inch full range drivers in the kitchen ceiling and patio ceiling. I didn't realize just how loud it was going to be, but but the kitchen and back yard sound amazing. Although, I am quite impressed with the performance, it doesn't seem complete without low end bass. At first, I planned on adding an enclosure to each of the full range speakers in hopes of broadening their range. Currently, they are just mounted in the sheet rock and have fiberglass insulation laying over them.

    Click the article to read more!



     So... I need bass. I need bass that will keep up with the full range drivers. Enter, JL 12W3v2D4. Two of them actually. ;) Last time I built a box for each of these subs, I used the factory recommended specs for a ported enclosure and I was very happy with the results. I don't intend to reinvent the wheel this time around either. I seriously considered building a "deathbox", but I opted for a slightly modified version of the recommended specs.

     Since this is now a self-powered subwoofer, I needed to compensate for the amp displacement. The dimensions of the amp that would be inside of the enclosure is 8.5" by 8.5" by 3.25". Since the amp will be mounted in 3/4" MDF, we need to subtract that amount. So... 8.5x8.5x2.5 = 180.625 I want to add this to the length of the box. The width and height of the box is ...to be continued.

(NOTE: Overall length now 30.25")

     Until then, here are some pictures: